The following information is designed to help you prepare for your travel to Alaska. If you have any questions, please contact Nolan, the Registration Manager, via email at email@example.com or via phone at +1 907-433-4314 or toll-free at 800-718-6528 (U.S. and Canada only).
Most major airlines serve the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, which is located about 40 miles north of the Alyeska Resort in the town of Girdwood.
Foreign visitors require a passport which must be valid for at least six months from the date on which the holder enters the U.S. All visitors to the U.S., except for Canadian and Mexican passport holders, also require either a travel authorization or a visa to enter the country. A visa can be obtained from your local U.S. consulate or embassy before departure.
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Global Entry Trusted Traveler Program. Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, Qatari nationals, and Mexican nationals. Though intended for frequent international travelers, there is no minimum number of trips necessary to qualify for the program. Participants may enter the United States by using automated kiosks located at select airports. For more information on this program, please visit their website at http://www.globalentry.gov/. Please note that there is an application fee associated with this program.
All ground transportation to/from the airport will be the responsibility of the individual. Taxi fare to the Hotel Captain Cook in Anchorage will cost approximately $20 to $25 per one-way trip. Taxi fare to Alyeska Resort in Girdwood will cost approximately $100 per one-way trip. If you would like to arrange a private car pickup from the airport, the below resources are available to you:
- Alyeska Resort Concierge: +1 907-754-2108 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Logistics LLC: +1 907-276-6060. Please reference Arctic Imperative Summit.
Note: Shuttle transfers will be provided for all attendees from the Hotel Captain Cook to Alyeska Resort on Saturday afternoon, August 25, 2012.
If you prefer to drive or plan to rent a car, please see below for directions to Alyeska Resort in Girdwood:
- Exit the airport via International Airport Road.
- Turn right (south) onto Minnesota.
- Follow Minnesota (south and then east, following the curve in the road) until you reach the New Seward Highway.
- Turn right (south) onto the New Seward Highway and proceed south along the Turnagain Arm for approximately 31 miles. Follow signs to Girdwood.
- Turn left at Girdwood onto the Alyeska Highway at Mile 90 along the Seward Highway (Tesoro gas station on the left).
- Follow this road approximately three miles until you reach the large Alyeska Resort welcome sign.
- Turn left onto Arlberg Road and follow for one mile to The Hotel Alyeska (1000 Arlberg Avenue, Girdwood, AK 99587).
While traveling south along the Seward Highway, keep an eye out for moose in Potters Marsh, a bird sanctuary, beluga whales along the shoreline, and sheep along the mountainsides. With the Chugach Mountain Range on one side of the highway, the Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet on the other, the tail end of the Alaska Range across the inlet, and the Kenai Range in full view ahead, you’ll see why this stretch of highway is one of America’s National Scenic Byways.
Average August Temperatures
|UTC -8 hours
Alaska Daylight Time (AKDT)
|High 63 F / 17 C
Low 47 F / 8 C
Please click local weather for current conditions.
Attire is business casual for the Arctic Imperative Summit and all evening events.